Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Important lessons

Quite a few things have happened these past four days, and I am still trying to sort out my thoughts. Here is what I have been trying to internalize so far.
  1. I don't have to apologize for being myself. I don't have to explain why I chose to wear one shirt and not another.
  2. I have the right to ask for what I want. Whether or not it will be granted is not under my control, so I don't need to worry about that. I can go ahead and make my needs known, regardless of the outcome.
  3. I am allowed to choose what I want to do, without fear of being judged by others. I'm not talking about doing whatever I want without regard to consequences and propriety. I'm referring to simple things like how I want to spend my time, whom I want to be friends with, what to wear, what to eat, etc. Even if other people will disapprove, it really shouldn't matter what they think.
If you take these beliefs for granted, please try to understand that they're not obvious for people who have been emotionally abused for a significant portion of their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment